3.03.2010

Lightnings

Finished a 2 day shoot with One today for CDW, the computer company. It was an internal video the theme of which was CDW is the 'guy behind the guy' so basically running around to a bunch of different departments within the company and getting various sound bytes of random employees. A couple HVX's were the main cams and there was also a 7d floating around for timelapse. Eon Mora was a psuedo 2nd unit DP / AC. Didn't get much of a chance to see what he got but I'm sure he rocked it. C. BensonPowers and Shoemaker worked the lightning. Amanda made a comment to me about how 'you must hate that you're using that camera' but you know what, you can still make a solid image with an HVX regardless. It also depends on the delivery medium and budget too. I'm not a snob like that.

Not yet anyway...

It was a little harebrained when we were running out of time and I was being told that my lighting was too 'complicated' but alas I think I created and maintained a cool style throughout. I went with a slightly cooler color palette, to suggest the modernity of a computer company in today's age. A lot of the office areas had gray walls too so that helped. Some pics:







And here's a pic of the sick 3d rig I was using:

The interocular is a little off but whatevs.

There was a moment when I had a shot set up of a guy looking over a railing high up in the air, one of the agency guys standing next to me while shooting told me to snap zoom out really wide. So I do and there's the lighting setup. I say it's fine with me but the lights are in frame. He says oh don't worry about it. But you know when they see that shot on a big screen it will be 'well why are the lights in frame?' And then it could morph into being my fault. You have to be careful of things like this constantly. Everyone looks for a scapegoat and I feel most of this can fall on a DP.

All in all I think we got what they were looking for, which is good. I have to thank my crew for being flexible.

It's really got to suck working in an office environment like that day after day. I don't think I could ever handle that. Same goes with the warehouse. It's funny how the office and warehouse are so close to each other but the schism between them is so great, they're essentially separate worlds and yet right next door to one another. Kind of like a restaurant. Lorian the sound guy tapped me on the shoulder as we were doing a setup in cubicleville - there was this woman on a computer working in this ancient looking dos program, typing so furiously...words and windows flying in and out of the screen faster than you could keep track of. And she just sitting there, fingers flying on the keys. It seems like insanity to me.

Alright in other news, I discovered this website the other day called omegle.com, the basic idea is you start a chat with a completely random stranger. Me and my roommate saw the potential in this, so we started messing around with it. He ended up taking it a step above however. He discovered ANOTHER site, called chatroulette.com, same concept but it utilizes video chat along with the regular chat. Seems like a good idea, right? Here is what you will encounter on chatroulette.com:

Great stuff. Here's one I took:


That guy kind of looks like Corey Powers.

Anyway on that creepy note, I'm off.

No comments:

Post a Comment